Friday, October 28, 2011

The path I'm walking

I've been sitting here trying not to think of any more family drama to blog about. I just tried to skim through the news to find any interesting articles to write on. After finding none and deciding not to force myself to write about one, I am wondering why I picked Political Science as my major. Its sad to even ask myself this now that I'm close to graduation. Throughout high school and while I was attending a community college, history was my favorite subject. As I tried to pick a major for my college career, my counselor at Evergreen community college advised me to go with Political Science; she said since I wanted to do something in the "legal" field, Political Science is the best choice for me.  I have no regrets about choosing this major because I really enjoy exploring the different fields within Political Science. The only thing I'm contemplating is what the hell I'm going to do after I graduate. I haven't been involved in any clubs or nonprofit organizations. It's not because I don't want to, I just don't have the time. Anxiety is at an all time high for me right now. I thought I wanted to be a lawyer, but I don't see law school in the plans for me at this moment. Its tough as it is to be attending college and taking care of a family at the same time. Four more years of school is not very appealing. I've always wanted to be a teacher (don't know exactly what subject yet), but I changed my mind because I've been told what salary to expect if I chose this profession. I know now that this isn't true because I could always aim for teaching at the college level if I wanted a bit more income. But this would mean I'd have to get a Ph.D. So, I would still need four to six more years of school to accomplish this. What lies in my plans after I graduate is to jump on the private sector wagon and get any type of business job. Hopefully, I could work in human resources and a Political Science degree is something the prospective company would accept. This seems more logical to me because my husband wants to return back to school to get his Masters. He has a B.S. in MIS (Management Information Systems). We are blessed because he found employment as an engineer in this scary recession. I'm fortunate to not be working right now. Hmm, well...in a way I am. Being a stay-at-home mom is work. I was thinking if I had a full time job, I'd be failing in all of my classes. The last job I had before I was a stay-at-home mom was working as an administrative assistant at Yahoo Inc. One of the reason's why I wanted to return back to school, was I once scheduled an interview for a high school buddy of mine for a position at Yahoo. I'm a high school graduate. She graduated from college and was offered a position that I knew I was also capable of doing. I guess you could say I was a little envious of her and my job as an administrative assistant seemed to be monotonous and boring. I needed a bigger challenge. Speaking to other colleagues on my team, there was not much room for upward mobility because I had no seniority. I thought school was the faster way. So, four years later...here I am. This is the path I chose. The path I'm walking.

vocab:    

pacifistic:
opposed to war.

monistic materialism:    
the philosophical concept which sees the unity of matter in its globality. For the materialistic monist the cosmos is “one” and comprehensive, then a “one-all” made up of parts such as its effects. The matter is then originary and cause of all reality.


 

No comments:

Post a Comment